Thumbs up A week with Western Flyer

Found a reference to Tom Bihn bags on Linkedin.com one night and fell in love with the design and the entire vision behind Tom Bihn bags.

Just before a recent business trip to Denver, CO (I live in Copenhagen, Denmark) I ordered a Western Flyer with various accessories to be delivered to my hotel. The bag arrived without any issues on the day promised.

The bag was everything I thought and more. Only thing that surprised me was the size - it was a bit smaller than I thought (although it shouldn't have come as a surprise - all sizes are clearly listed on the web site).

The quality of the bag appears to be great. However one of the cord zipper pulls actually came apart for me. It happened because I was applying more force than I should have to get it out of the bag and I had no probem putting it back together again. However one or two spares with the bag would have been great, so if I lost one I wouldn't have to make a order just to replace it.

The bag actually hold quite a lot as can be seen on this picture:

The picture shows all the stuff I put in on my way back from Denver, incl.
    Laptop computer (in a Brain Cell) (see note below), Power supply, Universal plug converter
    USB cable in medium clear organizer pouch
    Horizontal Freudian Slip
    Neil Gaimans American Gods - this was a paperback edition with approx. 650 pages and it still fitted nicely into the front pocket:

(all my clothes were in my checked in luggage on this trip - I'm sure the bag would comfortable hold clothes for one or two days together with the laptop, a book, shaving gear, etc.).

Note: I have a Dell D630 with the extended battery and no, it doesn't fit fully into the size 4 Brain Cell. However I was warned about this three times before buying: on the web site, in the forum (when I asked about it) and on the phone (when I had a few more questions). Great support and although I can live with the battery sticking out of the Brain Cell, I might just steal a standard battery from someone at the office and live with a shorter battery life.

Not on picture: Guardian Dual Function Light and Convertible Packing Cube. The convertible packing cube worked great for small trips during the weekend where I just needed the satnav and camera. It even had room for a thin sweather as well. Not something I would use in a city, but fine for the country side

With the Absolute shoulder strap carrying all this felt easier than with my Dell laptop bag (that I carried most of the stuff over in) and the sling back functionality was a great alternative.

So what I would change if I could: Not much - maybe make the bag a bit larger to have room for more types of laptops and deliver it with one or two spare zipper pulls (don't know if I was just unlucky).

The tombihn.com web site have a lot of details about the bags and other stuff, but I would like a more streamlined profile system, so I could see my previous orders, change my name (my name is currently "Hold for guest" or something like that), etc.

Apart from those very minor details a great experience and a great product!

Lars
    Last edited by lhulvej; 06-14-2008 at 10:05 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0