My Super Ego is stuffed

While looking for a good carry bag for the new Alienware laptop I had ordered, I stumbled upon the Tom Bihn website. The Brain Cell 2XL is about the only bag which fits this monster. So after reading all of the rave reviews I ordered the Brain Cell, the Super Ego, a Snake Charmer and a clear organizer pouch.

I received my bags much earlier than my laptop, and was very impressed with the construction. I proceeded to start filling it with all of the stuff that I like to carry back and forth to work every day. I am a self-professed geek and prefer to carry quite a bevy of cables, adapters and tools (for geek emergencies). The bag carried well and had plenty of pockets for my doodads.

I received my laptop a couple of days ago and loaded everything into the Super Ego. Since the laptop is large, and the power brick is about 3X the size of the standard, it eats up a lot of the room in the back compartment. However I did still manage to stuff a full size external CD enclosure and a mouse in there with it. Filling the rear compartment with extras does make the front compartment a bit tighter. In there I carry my half-full snake charmer, organizer and CD case as well as a screwdriver set and multi-tool. The front two zipper pockets are filled with lights (head mounted, flashlight and book light) and tea bags, respectively. Finally the outside front pockets contain my iPod and cell phone, leaving the rear document pocket for a magazine and some documentation.

I carried the whole bag, stuffed to the gills, over to the shipping department yesterday, and it weighed in at 25 lbs. Picking it up by the handle is unnerving, feels like it's packed with lead. However I was pleasantly surprised by the shock absorption of the Absolute shoulder strap. It really makes it manageable to carry 25 lbs back and forth to work every day. I can't imagine doing that with any other bag I've ever had.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    That's a HEAVY bag! Glad to hear that the Absolute Strap makes it feel lighter.

Thanks for posting a description of what you're able to fit in the Super Ego: that will be very useful for those who ask us that very question.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Absolute straps are hands down my numero uno fav accessory for fully loaded bags. I love 'em so much I just replaced all my heavy aluminum camera bag straps with Absolute. I let out a big laugh today when I did that for one case. Absolute straps seem to reduce perceived weight by half! I really must figure out the ergodynamics of that as it relates to weight. Must be something to do with the fact that a bounce is caused which is where the energy that creates the impression of 'more weight' ends up. Oh sorry! talking to myself again

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That's a HEAVY bag! Glad to hear that the Absolute Strap makes it feel lighter.

Thanks for posting a description of what you're able to fit in the Super Ego: that will be very useful for those who ask us that very question.

Smile Super Ego

Darcy, fellow Bihners...

I've had my SuperEgo for a while now and am still on the quest for the perfect messenger bag. However, the SE is the closest I've come yet. I would love to see an updated version of the SuperEgo in the near future that would include more pockets inside and out perhaps slightly smaller, collapsable to some degree, good color selection, etc. Perhaps an "Oedipus" bag? :-)

~Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    Absolute straps are hands down my numero uno fav accessory for fully loaded bags. I love 'em so much I just replaced all my heavy aluminum camera bag straps with Absolute. I let out a big laugh today when I did that for one case. Absolute straps seem to reduce perceived weight by half! I really must figure out the ergodynamics of that as it relates to weight. Must be something to do with the fact that a bounce is caused which is where the energy that creates the impression of 'more weight' ends up. Oh sorry! talking to myself again
    I'll second the comfort of the Absolute Strap as well as that it does make the load feel lighter. The gel sort of padding is just great. I have problems with, well, every joint in my body from RA and the Abolute Strap makes taking a walk to the coffee shop with my laptop a pleasant thing again.

and hehehehe....it does feel kinda bouncy..but in a fun way...

Smile I now use a rollator...

I also have RA, I now use a rollator pictured here to carry my gear. Makes a huge difference in terms of my personal capacity and of course safety.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

A little thread necromancy, but I thought an update might be in order. I have carried this bag to work almost everyday for getting close to 2 1/2 years now and it still looks great! I have added a second Snake Charmer so it's even heavier if anything. It doesn't look brand new, but if I was buying a used bag, I'd be ecstatic if I received one in as good condition as this. Not a single seam getting loose. I've had cheaper bags that looked worse after a week than my Tom Bihn does after 120.

I have taken several work trips with the Super Ego as a carry on (who needs to check any baggage when you have this much room?) and can attest to the comfort of the Absolute strap when you're doing an O.J. through the airport terminal trying to catch a plane!
    Last edited by robotguy; 05-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.

thats a heavy load!

Hey robotguy,

When I first read your thread title, I was thinking, "What? How can it be stuffed?". You see stuffed in Australia means that something is broken

But geez 25lbs, my Western Flyer doesn't weigh that much carrying all my carry-on luggage!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0