One-bagging with the Aeronaut

I ordered my Aeronaut in September and took it on a 5-day trip to Maine with my girlfriend. She liked so much that I ordered one for her a couple weeks later, and we have since made 2 more trips with the bags -- a 4-day trip to Colorado and a week-long visit to North Carolina. I also took mine on a 2-day business trip to western Minnesota. We've gone carry-on only on each trip, and so far it's worked out great. I usually take the Aeronaut and an Imago -- she takes her Aeronaut and another small bag. I typically take my laptop along, and with that and the 3-1-1 toiletries bag, going through security can be a little hectic. Still, it's worth a couple minutes of fumbling through security not to have to worry about late/missing/damaged baggage later on. And the one-bag method definitely forces you to prioritize and not over-pack.

Here are a couple headless shots of us on our way to Boulder in October....
    Name:  Aeronaut 1a.jpg
Views: 9604
Size:  80.0 KB
    Name:  Aeronaut 2a.jpg
Views: 9591
Size:  88.4 KB
    ...and on our way out the door to North Carolina in December.
    Name:  Aeronaut 4b.jpg
Views: 9634
Size:  53.1 KB
    Name:  Aeronaut 5a.jpg
Views: 9658
Size:  43.4 KB
    For reference, I'm close to 6'0" and my girlfriend is 5'2". The Aeronaut is pretty big on her, but unless it's loaded to the max (as it was on our way to NC), she's been able to carry it comfortably in backpack mode or with the Absolute shoulder strap. I prefer to use it as a backpack when in the airport or when trying to go quickly from one place to another (to/from public transportation, etc.). Otherwise, the Absolute shoulder strap or the grab handle both work well.

As for what it will hold, on our trip to NC I took:

Main compartment:
    2 pairs of jeans
    2 sweaters
    3 long sleeve t-shirts
    4 short sleeve t-shirts
    1 long sleeve button-down shirt
    1 pair of sweatpants
    4 pairs of boxers
    3 pairs of socks
    mp3 player in box (gift)

One end compartment:
    1 pair of size 11 running shoes
    2 pairs of socks

Other end compartment:
    3-1-1 toiletry bag
    organizer pouch with other toiletries
    pouch with electronics accessories (mouse, ipod cable, phone charger, etc.)

Before finding Tom Bihn I had previously used an LL Bean duffel bag that was too big to check, a flimsy shoulder bag, or a carry-on rolling suitcase that didn't seem to hold much besides a pair of shoes and one change of clothes. Not a good option among them. The Aeronaut has been a wonderful change, and for my purposes -- leisure and casual business travel -- it's pretty close to a perfect bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gmich; 01-04-2008 at 10:37 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    That's a great review along with some really great pictures, gmich. I posted it on the blog today. I think we'll also make your review a permanent part of the Aeronaut page!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

First logn one bag trip coming up

Next week I'll be taking my first "long" (5 days) trip with the Aeronaut I purchased about 5-6 weeks agos. I have used it some for over night and weekend auto trips and it has been great. This, however, will be my first wheel-free trip in probably15 years -- through 4 airports and 3 planes of differing sizes (each way). I have recently got an Asus eee pc and will taking that instead of my usual MacBook. I am going to try and take everything (clothing, toiletries, and tech-business stuff) in the one bag. We'll see if my old fart body is up to this!! Not having to manage at least 2 bags will be a nice change and I'm looking forward to it. If it works out as I hope, I'll be getting a small take along bag to put in the Aeronaut for local use - this time I'll improvise

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Let us know how it works for you! Maybe you'll inspire me to leave my Smart Alec at home and take only my Aeronaut.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0